Legal Counsel, Capital Markets
An exceptional challenge must be met by exceptional people. Every day, we are inspired by the opportunity to collaborate and learn from our talented colleagues. Smart, passionate and driven, we take pride in what we do together, as JUMOnauts.
About this job
As Legal Counsel, Capital Markets you will be accountable for delivering legal solutions across debt and equity markets in a fast-paced and technical environment. You will report to the Head of Legal, Capital Markets.
- Deliver varied solutions to JUMO’s capital markets needs. This means you will need to have a strong understanding of various debt and equity products and be able to think innovatively to apply your existing knowledge to JUMO’s business model
- Advise on legal and commercial risks with respect to any particular agreement or financing structure. Understand key legal pitfalls of common financing structures and lender credit risk considerations. You will have experience negotiating and drafting LMA facilities and shareholders agreements
- Be accountable for transaction delivery. You will have strong deal management and execution skills from inception to post-closing on cross-border transactions for corporate M&A, private equity and debt finance. You will know how to unlock transaction stalemates and be able to identify when matters require escalation to unlock. You will have experience working with local counsel across a number of jurisdictions. You will have strong matter management and document management discipline
- Practice risk management. You will be able to identify risks, present strategic solutions and be willing to make decisions in consultation with your peers
- Support in Legal delivery of running a FinTech. This means you will assist team members in relation to employment matters, including employee share schemes, advise on corporate authorisations and general contractual queries, draft and negotiate NDAs, draft resolutions, advise internal committees and be involved in JUMO’s governance strategies
- Research and solve for unique legal issues that could impact JUMO. As a growing company this may be in respect of problems or legal issues outside of your area of experience. You will need to be comfortable exploring areas outside of your experience and with limited internal resources. JUMO is aware that due to the varied specialisms required you may have more experience in some areas than others
- Draft, negotiate and analyse legal agreements appropriate to your PQE level with limited supervision
You will need
- A strong academic record with a degree (or higher) in law (or equivalent conversion qualification)
- Experience working in a leading private practice firm or in-house, with at least 5 years PQE. Less than this will only be considered if you are able to demonstrate exceptional experience and that you meet all of the other requirements of the role
- US and/or UK financing experience, as this will be highly regarded
- To be a self-starter, a keen problem solver, mentally agile and able to apply existing knowledge to new and innovative circumstances
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including being able to assimilate and explain complex legal and commercial advice to a wide audience
- The ability to prioritise and to be willing to pitch in across responsibilities and team areas, as well as to be able to work on multiple matters and in different jurisdictions in a remote-first environment
- To be willing to work on both exciting, strategic initiatives and less glamorous work required in the operation of a business
Bonus if you have
- Experience with structured finance solutions
- Exposure or a keen interest in social impact, AI and/or technology
- Exposure to Emerging Markets, particularly Africa.
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people in an inspiring work environment
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
You will be based in South Africa or in a jurisdiction that is within the UTC - UTC+0 timezone. We operate a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Cape Town for collaboration and connection and for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office. You have flexibility where to work from, as long as you have access to a reliable connection and are set up to work remotely.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.