Kenya | Portugal | South Africa
An exceptional challenge must be met by exceptional people. Every day, we are inspired by the opportunity to collaborate and learn from our talented colleagues. Smart, passionate and driven, we take pride in what we do together, as JUMOnauts.
About this job
As a JUMO Data Engineer, you’ll help contribute to our mission of financial inclusion by extracting maximum predictive value from data assets. This position will report to the Data Engineering Team Lead.
- Design, implement, and maintain the data pipelines that constitute JUMO's data platform, enabling effective use of data across the organisation
- Providing feedback on team members' output, encouraging skills development within the team
- Be responsible for creating robust, mission critical batch and streaming data processing capabilities
- Work closely with Portfolio Managers and Data Scientists to understand the real-world problems we’re trying to solve
- Be supported by senior leaders as you drive your own development
You will need
- BSc. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent tertiary degree
- Real-world understanding of data processing and storage
- 2+ years experience with Data pipeline design and development experience
- 2+ years experience in processing of data with big-data technologies such as Cassandra, DynamoDB, InfluxDB, MongoDB, Presto, Apache Spark, Hadoop, Beam, Flink, Kafka or Kinesis
- Experience in application design and development with at least one of the following languages: Python (preferred), Scala, Java
- RDBMS experience in any relevant technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift and SQL Server
- Working knowledge of the Data product lifecycle
- Command of productionising and monitoring of data pipeline workflows
- Experience with relational database administration, technical architectures and infrastructure components
- Understanding of CI/CD practices
- Productive within a Linux command line environment
- Experience designing systems to process and curating large data sets
- Proven ability to contribute software as part of a team
- Effective communication of technical concepts
- Critical thinking under pressure
Bonus if you have
- Experience working with messaging systems (RabbitMQ, SNS)
- Experience working with data pipeline orchestration (Airflow, Nifi, Streamsets)
- Experience working with production BI environments and tools (Tableau, Superset, Looker)
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people in an inspiring work environment
- Working for impact
- Growing and learning continuously, with loads of encouragement and support
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate new challenges
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
- A stack of leading-edge technologies
Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration, working from one of our Data Hubs in South Africa or Kenya. We operate a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Cape Town and Nairobi for collaboration and connection and for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.