Senior Machine Learning Engineer // Decision Science
Kenya | Portugal | South Africa
An exceptional challenge must be met by exceptional people. Every day, we are inspired by the opportunity to collaborate and learn from our talented colleagues. Smart, passionate and driven, we take pride in what we do together, as JUMOnauts.
About this job
Decision Science is an applied data science team that is responsible for all of JUMO’s predictive modelling. We develop scorecards and machine learning models that drive decisioning on all our financial products. We are establishing a machine learning engineering capability that will design and build pipelines and tooling to 10X our prediction capability as we scale to new territories and deepen our customer understanding. Our current key focus areas are:
- Developing automated scorecard and ML pipelines
- Scaling and optimising the JUMO feature store
- Establishing standard tooling around decision science practices
We build and develop at a very fast-moving pace to drive significant value for our stakeholders. You will be expected to take accountability, influence decision making, deal with a high degree of uncertainty and make a large impact
Your day-to-day will involve a mix of:
- Understanding the prediction and modelling lifecycle and establishing key challenges
- Designing and building engineering solutions that support scaling model training
- Collaborating with decision scientists and other teams
- Optimising and driving efficiency
- Solve complex problems in an ultra fast-moving environment
- Design, build and evolve software related to the prediction and modelling lifecycle.
- Rapidly prototype solutions that add significant value to scale and productivity
- Work with scorecard and other domain experts to develop practice tooling
- Collaborate with a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders across the data and prediction space
You will need
- Machine learning modelling experience with big data
- Experience in software architecture and system Design
- Expert python skills and experience with modern tech such as AWS, linux, docker, git, CI/CD, etc
- Demonstrated track record using big data technologies such as Apache Spark, Amazon EMR or similar
- Ability to engage with non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
We ask a lot of each other at JUMO, but we give a lot too.
You will love
- Collaborating with smart, engaging people in an inspiring work environment
- Working for real social impact
- Growing and learning continuously
- Boldly taking risks as we navigate uncharted territory
- Solving stimulating challenges alongside other teams
- Flexible work practices enabling your best delivery
- Being autonomous and empowered to lead
- Working with leading technology and being at the forefront of innovation
Our environment is designed to foster innovation and enable collaboration, working from one of our Tech Hubs in South Africa, Kenya or Portugal. We operate a remote first working approach where working remotely is our default way of working. We have co-working spaces available in Cape Town and Nairobi for collaboration and connection and for the use of those who value and want to work out of an office. If you work from Porto we provide access to co-working spaces on a needs basis for collaboration and connection.
Diversity and Inclusion
At JUMO, we believe that diversity strengthens our teams and we strive in our recruitment process to create an environment where people from every background can collaborate and prosper and be themselves.